Tuesday 5 March 2013

Day 6: Brickwork starting

I was up in London at 7:30 this morning for a job in Westminster. I parked at the flat and went round for a quick look. The chimney breast in the kitchen had completely been dismantled and all the bricks were stacked in the hall. Up in the loft, the rubbish was all ready for the skip to arrive that morning.

Whilst at work, Tom sent me a photo of Ivan starting to lay bricks upstairs in the loft, building up the party wall on one side ready for the steels which arrive on Thursday. A lot more of the lath and plaster needs to be replaced with new boards and plaster than originally thought, in fact it's probably worth redoing all of it whilst the flat is in this state. I won't do it any other time and any I don't replace will stand out against the new walls. It adds to the cost but I think it's worth doing. I also need to decide on where all the new power sockets go.

After my job I went back to the flat for a look round. Another skip arrives tomorrow as there is a lot of waste still to get rid of. I'm looking forward to all of it going and all the demolition work to be over. Once we start building it back up it will start to look so much fresher and we'll be able to see it taking shape very quickly.
Happiness is laying bricks (photo Tom Clowes)

No more chimney breast

That far wall won't be there much longer... nor will that archway.

Starting to look tidier, or is it my imagination?

No comments:

Post a Comment