Tuesday 26 February 2013

Scaffolding

It's a bit bigger than I expected!
 The scaffolding is up! It's unbelievable how hard the scaffolders worked. Temperatures were hovering barely above zero and they hardly stopped for a break over the two and a half days it took. I opted for a tin roof which is the more expensive option, but allows the builders to work in all weathers, and they don't waste time covering the roof at the end of each day and uncovering it the following morning. Also it will be possible to take the whole roof off in one go rather than small bits at a time to protect against leaks.

View from the roof
 After the scaffolders had left, I climbed up to see the view. Battersea Power Station, the London Eye, the Shard... in fact most of the city is visible over the rooftops. I'm so used to not having a flat with outside space (although Clapham Common is only 100m away), the prospect of a roof terrace is too exciting. I've left the emptying of the flat rather late and whilst I've taken a lot of car loads of belongings to a storage depot in Wimbledon where I'm sharing a shipping container, there was still all the furniture to take. Tom saved the day by suggesting two of his builders Ivan and Nik could come with the van to help me. Most of the things have gone but theres still a lot to sort out and either throw away or take to charity shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment