Wednesday 27 February 2013

Day 1: Raising the Roof

Ivan and Nick arrived bright and early. Eight hours later my loft had no roof. Tom told me they would work quickly but I didn't really believe him until I saw it. I don't think they even stopped for a cuppa! The transformation is incredible. We're having to replace all the rafters as the old ones aren't quite thick enough, so they have been cut out. It's exciting to see the space opening up. I hadn't got my act together to arrange a skip until next week so all the tiles and timber are piled neatly on the scaffolding ready for when it arrives. Tom asked me the name of the building control officer who had been assigned to the job. I didn't know so called Wandsworth council, only to be told that I needed to apply online for building control and that the process could take up to five weeks. After that we would be able to start work. I looked at the piles of slates and sawn off rafters as Ivan and Nick packed their tools up around me... ooops!

No comments:

Post a Comment